Next to St. George's Church,
a residence was built by the Hmoud family
in early part of the 20th century.
Lieutenant Colonel F. G. Peake (Peake
Pasha) lived in this house from 1920 until
1939 while he created and commanded the
Arab Legion (Jarvis 1943: 70). His house
was usually full of guests, especially
during the winter season and T. E.
Lawrence (Lawrence of Arabia) stayed there
in 1921 (Jarvis 1943: 83). During Peake's
residence the Byzantine church was used as